Sunday, June 22, 2014

Super Angie...the balancing act

So often I get stuck in a rut. "I'm a mom" rut. "I'm a wife" rut. "I'm a skater" rut. "I'm a designer" rut. and so forth. When I'm in a rut, I may think that I'm moving forward, but really, I'm not.

"Even if you fall on your face, you are still moving forward"- Victor Kian

Falling hurts. But it is necessary for growth.

Sometimes you have to realize that the person you were two years ago, isn't who are you right now. It's not right. It's not wrong. It's simply what is.

Sometimes we let life get a head of us. We freak out (I especially freak out), instead of relying on faith and prayer and God. Sometimes we let others dictate what we are supposed to do- this job, or this skating thing, or this home thing or this kid thing. Sometimes the opinions of others become so strong that we are no longer in charge of who we are, or where we are going. Sometimes what others think of us becomes so stronge, that we no longer see our self worth.  I find, it's at these times that my freak outs happen more.


Sometimes we have to let go of something that we love. Sometimes we have to take a step back and really look at our life. Is this "thing" that was soo right for me two years ago, still sooo right for me?


The other day, as I started my job on Keystone lake, I found myself the center of much laughter.  I have NO BALANCE.  Now many people would think this is hilarious, since I'm a figure skater.  But it's so true. I can balance on those tiny, thin blades, on a slippery surface going fast, but put me on a stand up paddle board, and let the laughter begin!

Here is the story... Two of my co-workers and I were in charge of getting the boats from one side of the lake to the other. At first, we moved the paddleboats. These are sit down boats that you peddle like a bike. Its easy. You are sitting the whole time and you just move your legs. No problem.

Next we had to take the Stand Up Paddleboards over. I had never used one before. These are basically like a big surf board, and you stand on it, and use a paddle to move. I got on it and almost fell into the lake. Immediately! My co-workers were stunned.  I just laughed.

"Man maintains his balance, poise, and sense of security only as he is moving forward." Maxwell Maltz
When I am on skates, moving, I can balance. But just standing on the board, I was a mess.

Moving forward often means taking a few steps back, changing directions slightly and experiencing set backs.   But it is moving.  You aren't standing still in that rut.

Let's look at this incredible pic of my friend Jana. Please note. Jana is a professional. She has her own circus and she tours the country, getting paid to juggle fire, while hanging perfectly balanced in the air. FIERCE.

Let's imagine for a second that Jana gets distracted by someone in the audience. Would she lose her balance? Could she possibly fall off the trapeze? What about those flames she is juggling?  Jana has to maintain her focus and balance the entire time. One small misstep and she could get hurt.

Okay, so we aren't like Jana...hanging from two ropes, high up in the air. BUT we are constantly striving to find the balance in our life. Like Jana, one small distraction and our balance can go all out. We can wind up wet and having our co-workers laugh at us in the lake. (this didn't happen, thankfully!)

What are some of the balance distractions we have in our life? For me... thinking about things I have no control over. Worrying about what other's think of me. Freaking out instead of finding my balance and RELYING on that balance.

Relying on our SUPER POWERS instead of focusing on what we can't do is so important. I think that is how Satan gets a hold of our hearts. "Mary is so much better then me"
"Bill can do my job faster then I can" "Julie seems to have all the luck". 

"My trust in a higher power that wants me to survive and have love in my life, is what keeps me moving forward." Kenny Loggins

Two key parts of this: SURVIVE and HAVE LOVE

When you find yourself getting out of balance try this: count your blessings, find your super powers, rely on those things that haven't let you down and EMBRACE the love that you have in your life.

And remember... you need to be moving forward to have balance in your life.

No comments:

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping