Sunday, September 16, 2007

Super Angie...climbing for the cause!

Chris Linder...nice reach! Leading the first route. ( I later did this route--5.9--I am so proud of myself that I was able to get over this bump on the wall. It was quite a challenge!)

Hard Rock 5.8--Thats Chris in the background belaying! ** notice my HERA shoes. I look kind of fat in this photo, but I do like my technique.

Look Ma! ONE HAND! (no, I'm not falling, just holding on with one hand as I shake my other hand out and re-chalk)

Perfect straight arm!

SMILE from on top!

Chris Linder, Dallin, Brennan and me! (Rick and Tanith in the background)


Whitney Boland...getting ready to belay me!

Megan, making her move on the Warm Up Boulder in Secret Garden, Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Almost to the top on HARD ROCK in American Fork Canyon

Eric Sculley, Noah Harper, Me!, Amy (I forget her last name) and Portia Menlove at the bouldering crag- Cabbage Patch, Little Cottonwood Canyon

My CRUX on the bouldering problem. A V1 on the Warmup boulder, the Secret Garden. I hit the move twice, but couldn't move past it. This is where I lost my skin. ** click on this photo to enlarge it. You can see I am hanging on with only 2 fingers! BUT that hand handled it. Its the other hand where I lost some skin. That granite is just so sharp!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This weekend I had the opportunity to climb for Ovarian Cancer. http://www.herafoundation.org/events.cfm

I raised $750 to help support Ovarian cancer research. This is such a scary cancer. There is very little early detection--not like Breastcancer. And there is a really high probability of dying within 5 yrs of getting it! PLEASE, check out the symptons and take charge of your body if you feel like something is wrong. http://herafoundation.org/ovca.cfm

Anyway, the weekend was two days of climbing, a slide show from a lady who climbed Everest, a breakfast and raffle. I won some great stuff in the raffle and met some cool people. Saturday was my favorite day of climbing. I top roped in American Fork canyon. I did HARD ROCK. My pros were Chris Linder, Joe Kinder and Whitney Boland. Talk about COOL people. Chris and Joe signed posters for Dallin and Brennan and Rick brought the boys to the crag to meet them. It was fun. This was only my third time climbing outside and it was awesome (although today, Sunday, I am still recovering. PHEW! It was rough!). I climbed a 5.7, 5.8, 5.9 and half of a 5.10!!! I got really scared on the 5.10 because the route was longer then the rest, plus it was windy and exposed. It was quite a challenge to climb outside--the holds are so different and for me, hard to see. Our volunteers were great too. Carla, Jenny and Agnass. Whitney was very supportive and helped me a ton. She had a saying, "Pitches Bitches!" which means, "Climb to the top Girls!"--in other words...stop screwing around and just do it. You know you can and I won't let you come down until you do! lol

On Friday, I made the mistake of signing up to do Bouldering. I like to watch bouldering, but my hands just can't handle it. I did one V0 and that was it. My friend Megan was with me and she rocks. It was fun watching her, but I just couldn't do it. Megan was a machine. She was trying some really difficult stuff. Just amazing! I lost quite a bit of skin off my fingers, so Saturday, I had to tape up. The pro for bouldering was Portia Menlove.
Portia was sweet to watch and had some interesting stories. Eric Sculley was the other pro and he just got back from a trip to Spain. We bouldered in Little Cottonwood Canyon where the Mormon Pioneers quarried for Granite. In fact, the boulders in Secret Garden had marks on them from the pioneers cutting and drilling etc. Very interesting and a nice shady area. Can't wait to go back there with Rick--although I am not sure I will boulder as much...I like my skin and hate loosing it! OUCH!

What a fun weekend it was. I love looking at my photos. My groups were fantastic. I met such awesome people. (I also met Joe's girlfriend, Colette. She was in a recent issue of ROCK AND ICE. They both climb at Momentum, so I will now say HI to them when I see them at the gym. Talk about sweet and down to earth people!)

I can't wait to climb outside again. I also look forward to doing another weekend fundraiser or clinic. FUN STUFF!

Thanks to everyone who donated money. It was awesome to raise $750!!!


--Super Angie... CLIMB ON!

2 comments:

samantha said...

Yay super Angie! Thanks for climbing 4 life. I don't remember if I got to meet you, but you probably met some of my friends from Team Bury the Dragon. I got to climb with Megan. She was wicked strong... and tall!

Hopefully we'll see you next year. Thanks again for your support to Ovarian Cancer.

-Sam

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

SAM~ Go "TBTD" You guys ROCK. I did not get to meet you, but I remember seeing you. It was a great weekend and I look forward to climbing 4 life next year.

I just read some of your journal, but its too late for me to sign up to post a comment. lol But I do want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are so strong and amazing!

Yes, Megan kicks some serious butt. She is such a sweet person and an amazing climber. :)

I'm gonna check out your journal daily, and please check out mine. We are all SUPER HEROS and we all deserve the praise and attention...

*HUGS*
Super Angie

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping