Monday, March 1, 2010

Super Angie... Seahorse Day





We visited the aquarium the other day and learned some interesting things about Seahorses. I was flipping through Dallin's magazine, "Ranger Rick" and found a big article all about seahorses, so we devoted part of today to learning about them, and drawing/coloring pictures.

Some things we learned: There are 38 species of Seahorses. They change colors to blend into their environment. The boys have a "kangaroo" pouch because they are the ones who give birth! When he wants to mate, he fills his pouch up with water, which signals to the female that hes ready. She comes over and sticks her egg tube into the pouch and deposits the eggs. He then carries the eggs for 2-4 weeks. AND GUESS WHAT>>>> he can have 100-200 babies! Some species only have 5 babies, and some have up to 1000!!! But 100-200 is "normal". HOLY SNOT!

The kids had a blast learning about seahorses. The wrote and drew pictures in their workbooks. Dallin is such a good artist.

I LOVE my kids!

4 comments:

Super Angie's MOM said...

super good drawing Dallin. Fun to see everyone today

Otter Mum's Den said...

With my usual luck, had I been brn a seahorse, I'd be of the species that have huge number of babies...
I love the drawings! Dallin's art?

Texas Boy + SLC Girl said...

SO FUN!!!

Tiff said...

Looks like home schooling is going well! I can't believe how long Tan's hair is getting! She is so cute.

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping