Sunday, May 23, 2010

Super Angie...Russia part 1









I got food poisoning. This about sums it all up. I still feel crappy.

We left SLC for Russia. I ate some snacks on the plane, that I had packed. They smelled funny and didn't taste right, but I kept eating them anyway. By the time we got to the base of the mountain, I was feeling sick. I thought it was nerves-- I was very home sick, feeling guilty for being away from the kids, and nervous about climbing. I could barely eat. I was miserable and just wanted to cry. I cried a lot.


We flew from SLC- Minniapolas- Amasterdam-Moscow. Then we stayed the night and had the yummiest European breakfast. Then we took a flight to Mineral Vody. This flight was hillarious. It was a VERY old Russian plane. The bathroom was amazing--looked like something off an old ship. The food was not very good, but the service was fine. I got in trouble for taking pictures of the plane. lol Oh well.

We landed in Mineral Vody and were met there by our guide- Vladimir. We hoped in a van/bus and off we went for our 3 hour drive to the base of Mt. Elbrus. We got stopped by a cop, and gave him some money and he let us go. Nice work!

We drove through charming little villages and saw gorgeous cliffs and peaks. Lots of random animals roaming the streets. It was great. I loved seeing so much of every day Russia. Up until now I had only see Moscow.

We arrived at our hotel, right at the base of Mt. Elbrus--but the mountain is so big, we had no idea we were at the base of it. You can only see the mountain once you get on it...if that makes any sense.

We stayed at the Sherherizade hotel. Irina met us and showed us our room. Everyone was very nice to us, but I was still home sick and emotional...

1 comment:

Otter Mum's Den said...

Bribery will get you places in Russia, but it can land you in jail in other places when you attempt it.

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping