Monday, May 24, 2010

Super Angie...Russia part 2

Our first night at the hotel was fine, except for my cramping and total panic attacks. I was jet lagged. I was homesick. I was terrified to be there. Thankfully I had Rick and some really outstanding team mates. AND family support. Yes, I was able to talk with my family back home every day--mostly texting with my dad. We were in the middle of nowhere and yet, there was great cell reception. I love this day and age.

I was doubled over in fear and stomach cramps and really just wanted to quit everything, but Rick forced me to go to breakfast. Joe from London and James from Ireland were already down there, so Rick and I sat at a middle empty table. There was corn flakes, bread, cheese, fruit, sometimes yogart and then eggs. Oh yes, and hot water for tea. As I was forcing myself to eat, the Austrians came and sat by me. Immediatly they noticed something was wrong...and then something special happened. I spoke to them in German, explaining my homesickness and everything else and magicly, the German helped me. It took my mind off my miserable state and helped me see that as a team, we could help each other. I wasn't healed, but the German did help my heart a lot.


We set out for a beautiful hike through the woods. I didn't take any pictures, but I know Rick did...I'll post those latter. It was really pretty, and it smelled so good! There were horses just wandering the woods and the mountain peaks were gorgeous. I loved this little hike through the woods. I wasn't scared anymore.
We got to the town of Cheget, took a quick rest and potty break, and then jumped on some chair lifts. We rode a series of three lifts and finally arrived at our jumping off point. We then hiked to the top of Cheget peak...around 12,000ft. It was all snow, but the temps were great and the views even better. And when we got to the top (I was dead last...I'm sooo slow!) we were rewarded with our first view of Elbrus!
We stayed up there for a bit and then made our descent down...of course I danced the whole time, much to the delight of Anton (from Austria). (in this pic--Joe from London and Rick...notice Warner from Austria with his shirt off, catching some rays!)

We had the BEST lunch at a cafe in Cheget--schnitzel! I was in Heaven. It was sunny. It was pleasant. We were making friends with everyone and I had actually enjoyed a hike. AMAZING!

.
Our group with Vladimir our guide in the orange hat.
Rick and I...so Thankful I had him!

1 comment:

Otter Mum's Den said...

That salad looks wonderfully "yummyful" (Christopher's pet word for good food!) and I love the last photo of you and Rick.

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping