Monday, May 31, 2010

Super Angie...Russia part 7



























Sunday morning, we had a hearty breakfast and then set off for our acclimatization hike. On this hike, we went up to P Rocks. Its actually called Pastuckhova Rocks, but none of us could say the name correctly because the Russians said it so fast. So we just called it P Rocks or, Pissed off rocks. lol

Vladimir wanted us to go "slowly slowly slowly" which is good because it was steap and long. It was a bit windy, which really tested my asthma and I learned a lot about my breathing while on the mountain. I also figured out what works for me buff wise, which is always good.

It was so gorgeous. I really enjoyed this hike.

I had a hard time wanting to continue again after we took rest breaks. One time I actually turned around and wanted to run down the mountain. Thats when Rick told me that I had already passed my high point on Mt. Torreys in Colorado. I was taller then 14, 100 ft! This gave me a boost of confidence and I continued up the mountain. We stopped to put on crampons and I had a bit of problems. Anton and Vladimir helped me get mine on. I was very thankful. I won't make that mistake again. I have learned exactly how to do it--even though I have done it a million times before on other mountains or while ice climbing. But now its ingrained in my head. Phew!

Walking up the steap glacier ice was nice. I prefer walking on snow and ice then walking on dirt trails. Its just easier for me. I started doubting myself and getting really tired and worn out just as we reached P. ROCKS and thats when Rick told me we had reached 15, 250 ft!!! Thats higher then any other mountain in the lower 48! I couldn't believe it. I started crying.

I felt great at that altitude. Some of the others really felt the effect of 15,000 ft. I was lucky. I felt fine. Even my asthma settled down. I think taking the Diamox and all my asthma really helped. Plus the fact that I had already been to 14,000 ft. But I was so proud of my team. Everyone did awesome and worked hard. The views from P Rocks were amazing. It was a beautiful day. I had some Rittersport that I shared with others. It was a great time at the rocks.

I love listening to my iPod while I hike, and this time was no different. So on the way down, Anton and I busted some dance moves. It was funny. I flew down. My legs felt strong--maybe from speed skating. Going down is usually harder then going up, but this time, I pushed the shakey leg thoughts out of my head and just flew down that mountain.

Yes, I was very tired when we got back to the barrels, but the adventure up to 15,250 was awesome. I really pushed myself and learned a lot.

4 comments:

Charles Miske said...

I was having foot issues on the way down, but otherwise it was a lot of fun. Thanks.

Tiff said...

So fun to read about your Russia trip. What fun pictures. Food looks interesting :)

Amy said...

I love that you call them PISSED off rocks, hilarious! Wowzers, what an amazing hike Angie, over 15,000 feet, holy cow girl AMAZING!! LOVE all the pics!

Otter Mum's Den said...

I love those photos, Angie! It looks gorgeous up there!

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping