Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Super Angie...I Lead!!!

"To Lead" is a term in rock climbing that refers to leading the rope up to the top of the climb, rather then having the rope at the top already (top rope). Top Rope is the type of climbing I do in the gym. But Yesterday, for the first time, I lead outside!!! When you lead, you have to clip the rope into bolts on the rock. You use a carabiner for this. Its scary because if you fall, you fall harder and further then if you are on top rope.

Last night, we went to RED ROCK as a family. The hike up to it was really nice and Tanith enjoyed being in the baby backpack.

I lead a 5.6 :) :) :) Then I set up a top rope for the kids

Dallin climbed half way up it. WAY TO GO!! Dallin did so well, despite being so scared.
Tanith ran around, getting dirty and throwing up.
Brennan sent it and actually "cleaned" the route. WAY TO GO! Brennan has a natural ability to climb. He is just awesome at it and has outstanding technique considering how young he is.
Rick played belay slave.
Then I lead a 5.7. .... I am so addicted now. It was awesome and I'm so proud of myself! Can't wait to go climbing outside again!!!

--Super Angie

3 comments:

Charles Miske said...

Brennan did so good - so proud, and Dallin, for keeping going when he was shaking and scared - and you, for trusting me and going on up when you didn't know where the next bolt was - and Tan, who clung to my legs while I belayed and managed to not puke on my shoes.

Tiff said...

So you like climbing outside now? That is great that you can lead. What a fun family activity. I love pics and miss you guys!

Megan said...

What a was fun activity to do together! I found your blog off of Tara's. I don't know if you remember me or not, Cheryl Clifford's sister. I would come visit WA in the summers. Anyway, cute blog and keep up the no sweets! That's my goal...one day!

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping