Saturday, August 7, 2010

Super Angie..finally cool










.





Well, I worked through lots of fears and did it. I climbed outside. Yes I have climbed outside before, but I have always been hesitant, but this time, I learned to push through the hesitation, remember the skills I've been taught and just freaking do it! And I HAD FUN! I had so much fun that I wanted to do another climb.

The day started out with skating at a great rink in Westminster. . The other two skaters on the ice were probably Junior level--doing nice big full doubles and triples. Amazing speed and extension. I got some good work done, not as much as I should have, but it was still fun to skate at a new facility--although it was just NHL size...I've gotten spoiled in Utah with our Olympic size rinks. AND it was $$$ to do a 45 minute freestyle. Oh well. Still fun and the ice was in great condition. HUGE Lutz. Yea!

Then I jetted off to the airport and picked up Rick. It was great finally seeing him. Seems like its been way too long.

Once we picked up a few things we needed, we took off for Boulder to meet up with Shawn. The Flatirons are so pretty. I'm no longer scared just to look at them. By the time Shawn got there, there was some thunder and rain happening. We started hiking up the trail, but the rain just started coming down harder and harder, so we took off and ended to a cafe.

By the time we finished eating, it was warm and sunny, so off we went to Boulder Canyon to do a trad route. Shawn led, Rick cleaned and I just looked cute climbing. LOL I'm proud of myself for figuring out some sequences when in reality, the rock just doesn't shot out to me. Its very strange. Maybe my eyesight is bad...who knows. But I just don't see things the same on real rock.

I made it to the top and was actually excited and wanted to do some more!

So, off we went back to the Flatirons, to scramble up the 2nd one.

Scrambling is when you go up the rock slab without ropes. Think of just simple backyard rock play, or going to a camp ground and playing on the rocks. Thats what it was...except that its 700 feet TALL!!!!!!!!!

I was nervous. The route is "easy"...but the height and not being roped in was hard for me to wrap my mind around. Did I really want to fall to my death?

I was finally coming into my own sort of success on it, about 100 feet up when Shawn decided we shouldn't finish and just down climb. I was mad! First, down climbing is SCARY--for me anyway-- but second, I wanted to finish gosh dang it. But Shawn insisted and helped me down. Rick did fine on his own, needing only a bit of beta on where to go.

Afterwards, we ended the day with a great burger and then headed back up to Keystone.

When do I get to climb again?

3 comments:

Amy said...

There's nothing like outdoor climbing! You know you live right next door to the best outdoor climbing in the world, people come from a far to try it out. Jake knows a bunch of cool routes if your interested. Looks like fun! :)

jenn said...

I've been catching up on your blog- it is so weird to have you in CO and although it has obviously been a blessing for you, it has been sad for me to not see your smile at church and around the neighborhood.

Sounds like you are where you need to be though and I'm happy you are growing and learning and pushing... sheesh- what's a step up from SUPER?!! Amazing Angie? Stellar Angie? COSMIC ANGIE!!

:)
Miss you friend.

Charles Miske said...

I had a ton of fun. Got to finish the Flatiron soon...

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping