Monday, January 21, 2008

Super Angie...ice ice baby






I found my new sport.

So, everyone knows I love Ice. I figure skate, I have done luge before (LOVE IT!!!!) and now Ice Climbing. What a total blast!

We climbed PIPE DREAM in Provo, Canyon. Rick did awesome by leading the TRAD route and then I followed and cleaned it. I had never lead-belay before, so that was fun to learn. It was also awesome to clean the protection--ice screws are so cool.

We woke up this morning to 6 inches of snow, and it was STILL snowing. Should we go? SURE! So, once Whitney showed up (THANKS DOLL!!!), we took off and headed up Provo Canyon to Canyon View Park. We parked, geared up and started walking on the sidewalk/trail that goes up Provo Canyon. It was so beautiful and peaceful. Snow was just dumping on us(there was 4 inches of fresh snow on our car when we got back!). It was fabulous.

We saw some wild turkeys and then a deer started chasing one of them. So funny.

We made it to the waterfall and Rick taught me how to put my crampons on. Then I did some "bouldering". Thats when you climb up as high as you feel comfortable without a rope. I went up about 6 feet. I was HOOKED!! Ice climbing is more comfortable for me then rock climbing outside. In the gym, rock climbing is second nature to me, but outside, its so confusing--I never know where to put my feet. In ice climbing, you just jam the front tips of your crampons in the ice and if they don't stay, then you try again. Easy! I quickly learned that my left arm is very weak compared to my right and I am just not very co-ordinated with it.

Rick then placed some ice screws and climbed up to the top of the water fall and hooked up an nice ancoring system. Then it was MY turn.

I started climbing and was just having a great time. I got to the first ice screw, started taking it out and cleaning the gear, when I dropped my left ice tool! OOPS! lol lol lol So, Rick lowered me back down, I grabbed my tool and climbed again. I felt fantastic. The last 10 feet was harder because my left arm just wasn't working and I was having a hard time swinging my tool in.

It was so incredible to be climbing a water fall! So beautiful. I loved hearing the water under the ice trickling down. Just amazing.

I can't wait to go again!

--Super Angie.
PS...check out Rick's blog--he put up some photos and stuff too. :)

5 comments:

Super Angie's MOM said...

great job ice girl.

Charles Miske said...

It was so fun leaning out over the edge trying to get pics of you while belaying at the same time.

Lowering you was fun too, because I had to escape you from the belay I had without dropping you and set up a new belay.

Way to go for your first time up!

Tara said...

wow...so ambitious!! looks like you had a great time! :) I miss the snow!

emily said...

i love snow too!! and you go girl! i think it would scare me that the water was running under the ice ... what if it decided not to hold my fat body!? anyway, you are hard core! good for you!

Whitney said...

Those pictures are so great and you look awesome! Way to go and I will come anytime so you can ice climb.

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping