Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Super Angie...my big bear


I call Brennan my big bear. I don't know why, but it just fits.

Today, Brennan started gymnastics. He has been looking forward to this for several weeks now. "Is Gymnastics today?" he kept asking. Finally it came!

He is taking classes at All American Gymnastics in Lindon. We actually saw a 3rd grader from Dallin's school there too, so that was fun to see a familiar face. We gathered upstairs until the coaches came to get the kids. Brennan went with his teacher. 

All the kids start by stretching together. This was very confusing for my sweet Brennan. He wasn't sure where to stand and how to do the stretches. I was disappointed that they don't take the new students aside and teach them the stretches, but I guess this is the real world and you get thrown into things. He got confused and started walking around. Finally one of the helpers found him and helped him do a back bend--very cute.  Then the classes separated, but he had forgotten, or just not paid attention to who his coach was, so he was left all by himself. I could tell he was worried, as I looked out the big glass window to the mats below. He looked up at me helpless and scared. A few ladies tried to help him, but he just kept saying, "I'm 4" and holding up 4 little fingers. Really broke my heart. FINALLY they figured out that there is only ONE class of little boys out there today (DUH!) and they walked him over to that coach and class.

He first did some things on the horse. We couldn't see him too well, so we went downstairs to another area where you can sit and watch. We saw him do some work on the rings--he was so strong. He pulled himself upside down, by himself--the other kids needed help. He only needed help getting his legs straight up in the air above his head. Very fun to watch. He also learned hand stands and 360 degree jumps. He was so cute and anxious to try. He was also typical Brennan...squirmy, smiley and not able to hold still even for a second. His favorite thing to do was run, jump on a spring board and fly up onto a large stack of mats (I think he was supposed to tuck and roll once he got up there, but none of the kids were able to do complete that). He did the best at jumping and leaping up on the mats...anyone surprised by that? Nope! didn't think so! He is made for gymnastics.

After wards, he gave me big hugs and just talked non-stop. "That was so much fun". "I had a good time" "That was a good workout". "Phew! I'm sweaty now!"  He really enjoyed it and it was just great to have this time with him.

Dallin and Tanith were very patient watching him, although I think I may try to figure out something for them to do instead of coming to the gym....1 hour is a long time.

I am so proud of my big bear. I love you Brennan!
--Super Mama

2 comments:

emily said...

you go brennan! olympics 2020 here he comes!

Super Angie's MOM said...

the first day is the hardest, now he will know what to do. Go Brennan Go Mom

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping