Friday, November 13, 2009

Super Angie..China 2009 day 2: Starfish Fosterhome

After seeing the grand historical site of the Terra Cotta Warriors, we were taken to Starfish Foster Home in Xian. This home is run by Amanda de Lange, a BYU graduate from South Africa. I have long wanted to visit an orphanage, so going to this foster home was quite an experience.

Clara with a volunteer from England.
Kelly with Clara and Celeste with Nova.
My sweet Clara. I really fell in love with this wild little 3 yr old.
Clara and Me.
Celeste and Nova.
Susan and little Thomas.
My dad and Kelly. Kelly is holding sweet little girl Nova.
Me holding Nova. She was SOOOO tiny!
An American volunteer who met Amanda at an airport and decided to come over to help. A true Angel!-holding Nova

One of the volunteers (who spoke REALLY good English) with one of the cute little boys.
My dad with his new little buddy.
What a sweet little guy.
Big boy Nick
Yummy! Lunch time for Nick.
This little guy was a sweetie, although it took him a while to warm up to us.
Baby Clara with Debbie
Fun times on the floor (Stephanie with un-known baby)
Teresa with un-known baby
Quinn with un-known baby





Amanda started Starfish when she was asked by a local Chinese orphanage, if she would start a home to care for the special needs babies. She was given zero funding and still to this day, in her own words, she begs for money. She has around 20 nannies to help daily, and then a slough of volunteers who come when they come--some come several times a week, others come for a full month. She really needs donations. If you can spare, even $5, please think about sending it to Amanda.

You can also see pictures of all the babies they have at Starfish. What I think is neat is seeing baby Clara before her surgery and seeing her now.

I was really touched by the special LOVE that was felt in this home. Sure it was sad to see all these kids without a mom or dad, but there was such love and care in there. I hope to go back there to volunteer a few days.

Jesus loves the little Children...

--Super Angie

6 comments:

Charles Miske said...

It was fun hearing how excited you were on the phone. They're really cute.

Otter Mum's Den said...

Cute babies! I am glad they are getting the care they need. There seems to be a bigger ratio of girls than boys.

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

FYI...you can't judge a baby by the color they wear. Some that were wearing pink were boys.

In China, there is a complicated one child policy with all sorts of rules and regulations. But basicly, everyone wants a healthy child, so if one is born un-healthy, boy or girl, they will abandon them.

Amy said...

What an AMAZING person you are Angie. I love seeing all these pics, I LOVE seeing all the fun you are having, honestly I live through you to visit the world, hee hee! Very very cool, and I LOVE the peace sign pics, good thing it's not offensive to people in China huh? Glad you had fun and that you are home safe!

JAnderegg said...

jealous. Such cute kids! Neat experience.

JAnderegg said...

I want Julia or Libby, or I'd take Noa. I love to look at this website! I wish I could go over and get a baby right now!

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping