Friday, November 13, 2009

Super Angie...China 2009 Day 3--leave Xian-go to Beijing

We woke up bright and early (of course) on day 3 to head to the airport and fly to Beijing.

Jet Lag. Well, heres how it went. I was able to sleep a whopping 5-6 hours on my big flight from LA to Korea. This is UN HEARD OF for me. I was very pleased! Landed in Korea, window shopped at all the big name stores (Channel, Dior, Burberry etc). Then took a shorter flight to Xian. We flew Asiana the whole way and it was great. Great food, great service. Makes me strongly dislike any of the American airliners.

ANYWAY, our first night, we were out way too late (dinner and then a fountain light show--think Bellagio, only cold weather + jet lag= grumpiness), so we all just fell into bed and slept until our 6:30 wake up call. Second night, I forced myself to stay up until close to 10, but then ended up waking at 4:30--wake up call was at 6:30. Next night, slept a bit later--until 5, with wake up call being 6:30. Drat!

We caught our flight and had smooth sailing to Beijing. I fell asleep immediatly and slept most of the 1 30 minute flight. I missed having lunch on board--yes with a flight THAT SHORT, we still got a full service meal!

Beijing was bright and sunny and warmer. Yea!

We headed straight to the Hu-tongs--the old town, where we went on a rickshaw ride.

I always look forward to this ride--its the first real time we are attacked by street vendors and its fun watching everyone learn how low they can go to get scarfs, watches, communist hats and chop sticks. Yes, I joined in. Its my sport of choice!
The Hu-tongs roads were under construction, which made for a not so pleasant, very bumpy ride. Ugh. But we still enjoyed it.
Look! Dad is smiling!

We ended up at this couple's house. We actually went last year and met the husband, so it was fun to meet the wife this year. They provide tours to come to their house, learn how they live etc. They have A TON of cats and a few birds. I tried to get video of this one. He talks and says Ni Hao (chinese for Hello). Really amazing to hear. But alas, he couldn't talk while I filmed.
Here she is with our guide.
Heres her kitchen. To get to her kitchen, you have to walk outside. Oh, and guess what...they don't have a bathroom--they have to use the public one down the street!

God Bless America!
--Super Angie

7 comments:

Charles Miske said...

That's a cool kitchen. Thanks for posting these.

Texas Boy + SLC Girl said...

SO AWESOME!!! Angie I love all of these pictures on every single post.. I cannot wait to hear more about your adventures!!! www.voigtsfamily.blogspot.com

JAnderegg said...

Public restroom, aye? Wow! I love my bathroom (and the fact that Jake is cleaning it!)

Otter Mum's Den said...

When I was 8 months pregnant with the twins, the water was turned off in our house for three consecutive days while the falling apart plumbing pipes got replaced by all copper pipes. I had to trek to Grass Lawn Park, day or night, to use the public restroom there. My poor pregers bladder with two big babies pushing down on it!!!! Ahhhhh the pain!

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Oh Ottermum...I can't imagine! ugh

Texas Boy + SLC Girl said...

Oh Angie! I love you! And, that #35 is my little brother, yes it's true... Haha! He is one of my many hero's in the world today!

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Alicia, WHOA! Thats so cool that your little bro plays college ball. Very impressive. He looks awesome in all those shots. Do you get to go to all his home games?

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping