Friday, March 25, 2011

Super Angie... loosing weight for moms or anyone













Today I heard someone say there was no way they could be a size 2 because they were a size 12.
In 2009, I was a size 12.
Today, I'm a size 2.

I have always ALWAYS been a size 10-12. Ever since H.S. Thats just the way it was. Funny thing...I weigh the same today as I did in '94 when I was that size...my body has just changed.

So how did I do?

I got active. Yes i know that sounds so basic. No, there was no magic pill, or expensive video program I bought. There wasn't hours slaved away at the gym. I simply got active.

At first, it was rock climbing together as a family. We joined a gym in Sandy, UT- Momentum. Its a fabulous rock climbing gym. I quickly learned and gained confidence. I took classes and within a year, I was the one teaching those classes! I competed at two National championships and the Teva Mountain Games. After a few weeks of climbing, I noticed my arms getting toned. This got me thinking: what happens if I start walking on the treadmill? What happens if I cut certain things out of my diet?

The answer...I start loosing weight. And seeing that, motivated me to work harder. Soon I was waking up at 5:30 to drive to Momentum to do an early morning treadmill workout.

Then another sport came along: Ice climbing. Again.... burning calories but having fun was the key for me.

Then my friend died. Then my grandpa died. Then my friend lost her baby in childbirth. It was too much for me to handle. I stopped everything. I was depressed.

Feb 2010--the Olympics. Watching the speed skating on TV made me think. I lived in Utah. There was the Olympic Oval in Kearns. WHY NOT!?! So i signed up for a learn to speed skate lesson and I just HAD A BLAST! Soon I bought my own skates (yes, they are yellow!) and competed in my first race. I hired a private coach and found a team mate and together we trained 2 hours, 3 days a week. Speed skating is so intense, but so much fun, and before I knew it, I dropped to a size 8. AMAZING!!!! My legs really surprised me.

Then in June 2010, I moved to Breckenridge, CO and after being inspired by the headliner skaters in SKATE FOR HOPE I set the goal that in 2011, I would skate in the show! To do this, I needed to start figure skating again. It was HARD. I couldn't do anything. But with encouragement from friends and family, I got my jumps back and headed to Vegas in October for Adult Nationals. When I arrived there, my skating dresses were size large. By Halloween, my next comp, those dresses didn't fit and I needed to buy a size Medium! I was a size 6. By November, I was a size 4.
Anna Kournivova said, "When we are happy inside, that's when we feel most sexy". I had found a joy that was missing, and it made me happy and this happiness made me believe I can do anything.

So, the girl who was a size 10-12 since she was 16, is now a 35 yr old who truly is happy. If I can do it, I believe ANYONE can do it!!
--Super Angie



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much for sharing that, Angie! You're an inspiration!!!

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping