Monday, December 8, 2008

Super Angie CHINA day 3...walking the walk

Super Angie...day 3...walking the walk

Brrrr....last night it got down to 19 degrees, which actually froze the gas in our bus, so this morning, at 22 degrees, when they started our bus, it had some problems and lots of smoke. The water bottles inside for all of us were all frozen. It was a very very cold morning.

We drove the Ming Tombs. Last year we went to Ming Tombs and it was pretty, but kind of borring. This time, we did more things and actually went down to the tombs, and although it wasn't as cool as going into a crypt in a big church in Germany, it was still pretty neat. But man oh man...we were freezing the whole times. We climbed down underground 150 steps. It was MASSIVE.

Jordan is the king of bartering, so I had him do all the talking and get me a new, warmer hat to wear. That helped some, but my fingers were still freezing, which I didn't understand since I was wearing nice REI gloves. Oh well.

Jordan is the king of bartering, so I had him do all the talking and get me a new, warmer hat to wear. That helped some, but my fingers were still freezing, which I didn't understand since I was wearing nice REI gloves. Oh well.

After Ming Tombs, we went to the Jade Factory and took the state required tour, saw how the Happiness Balls are made (which is actually very cool to watch) and then learned how to tell real from fake. We had a bit of time to shop (I needed to buy Julie her Happiness Ball, but didn't buy anything else). Some of the sales ladies fell in love with Dallin and gave him a good luck jade necklace. He is getting sick and tired of these girls wanting to hug and kiss his cheeks and give him things and coddle over him....wonder if that will change once he is a teenage. We ate lunch there and then Dallin, Jordan and I went out to the lobby of the Jade Factory to buy some kitsch type of stuff. Dallin and I ate some Magnum ice cream bars (YUM!) and then Jordan, again worked his magic and got us some killer deals...shh...I can't tell what I bought, because Christmas is coming soon. :)

We then drove to the Great Wall. We actually went to a different section then the one I went to last time, which was so neat. We went to Badling (sp?). Its the most famous part of the wall. BRRRR....it was super cold, but we set off up the steep wall. I brought me such joy to see Dallin's love and excitment for the wall. He recently did a report about the history of the wall. He remembered so much as our tour guide told the group different facts. It was very VERY cold and windy and Dallin was such a trooper. I had to remind him a few times to stop complaining, but over all, he did really good. The wall is so steep and combine that with the off steps and the wind and cold...it was a hard climb. We went to the fourth tower and Dallin got tired. We climbed mostly with Jordan. His dad went all the way to tower 8! So cool.

Dallin and Brennan have had a great fasination with the wall for a while now. I think Brennan will be excited to hear from Dallin all about it.
After climbing, as we were returning to the bus area, we ran into some very distingused men and some camera crews follwing the around. Jordan talked to them and we found out they are filming for The Discovery Channel, for the show, GREENBURO (I think)...the town in Kansas that got hit hard with the tornedo. Anyway...they were very nice and we had a blast talking to them.

Dallin fell asleep on the drive home. I was freezing most of the drive. I think this cold just settles into your bones and doesn't allow you to ever warm up. Really cold. **Mom, Dad and Jeff..remember how cold it was in Potsdam?

When we got back to the hotel, we dropped off our stuff and then went to Watsons to buy more fruit and some cookies and candy. Then off to McDonalds again with Jordan and Brad. Our taxi rides went much smoother this time. :)
Phew! Its now 9pm...I think its time for us to go to bed...hopefully we won't wake at 4am again!!!

No comments:

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping