Saturday, December 27, 2008

Super Angie...Ice Climbing 101

Rick hiking back to the car...isn't he cute?

The guys from IME...LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Yesterday we went ice climbing. We met Nate and Michael up there. Little Cottonwood was closed for several hours because of Avalanche danger, so our morning was delayed. But eventually we started our hike around noon. The fresh snow made it quite difficult for us all to hike up to THE GREAT WHITE, but Nate broke trail and we all followed as best we could. It was total post holing though with me sinking up to my waist in someplaces. It was extremely cold--18 degrees, but mid way through the 20-30 minute hike, Rick and I were totally sweating.

It was at this point that I started to notice extreme discomfort in my first toes, particularly my two middle toes. Something was wrong, but I couldn't put a finger on it.

Nate free soloed the first pitch, set up a rope and then Michael top roped it. It was his very first time, but being an extremely accomplished rock climber, and having trained dry tooling with us earlier this year, he was a pro. He did an awesome job and we were all so proud of him. Then it was supposed to be my turn, but all I wanted to do was lay down in the snow and cry. Now, I have watched enough documentaries and reality shows about Mt. Everest to know that its bad news when someone wants to sit down or sleep in the snow. I mentioned this to Rick and we decided to bail. So sadly, calling myself a looser the whole time, we walked back down to the car. While driving away, Rick mentioned that I had the first symtoms of Hyperthermia. I took off my boots and my toes started to thaw--OUCH! Let me tell ya, its NOT a pleasant experience.

Rick and I talked about my boots and different reasons this could have happened. Yes it was cold, but my boots should have been able to handle this weather. So, something else must have been wrong. After discussing many things, including my future goals for Rainier and future goals to ice climb more. We decided to go to IME and take a look at other boots.

IME ROCKS!!! We love the guys who work there (compared with Mountainworks in Provo--yikes! They totally suck. I don't think I will shop at Mountainworks anymore. Just plain rude folks). IME is the premiere rock climbing/ice climbing/mountaineering shop in Utah. Actually I think you'd be hard pressed to find an equal in surrounding states as well. They have everything you could need and they are so knowledgeable. One of the best parts--they are genuinely nice people.

I didn't find the size boots I needed (we actually found out my feet are half a size off from each other and that my current boots were cutting off the cirulation to my poor little toes!) , but we might have them order some later, just so I can try on other brands besides La Sportiva. Rick bought a new pair of boots and I got some warmer gloves (yea! my hands had been so cold!!). Again the IME guys were so kind that they gave me a MAMMUT beanie as a gift! These guys are just so awesome. I am forever a customer. (bah humbug to the grumpy guys down at Mountainworks!)

So, that was our first adventure of ice climbing this season. Ice Climbing 101...dress warm dress warm and wear the right size boot! But not all was bad...it was a great hike, good exercise, beautiful surroundings, peaceful and nice to spend time with my honey!
Michael's first day on ice!
more Michael
Nice swing!
Like a pro!
I love hiking through the woods in winter...I love the silence.
Michael, Nate, and Rick
Go NATE Go!
free solo!

--Super Angie

6 comments:

Otter Mum's Den said...

At least, you found out before your Rainier climb about your boots! That way, you will be better equipped when you make your attempt here! Hypothermia is not anything you want to joke about, so I am glad you were wise enough to bail. That is not being a loser, even if it might have been disappointing. It is being a winner and knowing your limitations. It does save your life to be wise and not take your body's warning signals lightly. Glad you're OK and that you have the best hubby to take care of you. I have not met him, but he does sound like a wonderful person!

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

You are so sweet! And i like the pic!

lvs2dance said...

all I can say is that looks SO COLD....BRRRRRRR!

JAnderegg said...

Pretty impressive and beautiful...sorry your feet hurt! I'm glad Rick noticed what was going on and got you out of there....he's a great guy!

Tara said...

your winter pics are beautiful! I am so jealous of everyone's snow!!!
glad you had a good christms...minus the whining! ;)

Charles Miske said...

1) those aren't "monkey arms" in my pic - I actually have my fingers balled up inside the cuffs of my gloves to warm them up after packing the gear.

2) IME is the ONLY mountaineering store in Utah that has not ripped me off.

3) it's normal in a mountaineering situation for an inexperienced climber to not know or recognize the symptoms of impending doom. that's why it's always a good idea at first to take along a mentor or guide.

enjoy...

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping