Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Super Angie...CHINA day 7... its the most wonderful time of the year

Think of your favorite Christmas song. Now thing of it being sung in English with a very strong Chinese accent. Picture Christmas trees, lights, Santa and his reindeer, gingerbread houses, snow flakes and brightly colored gifts...this is McDonalds in Beijing! LOL Its the funniest thing to go into a McDonalds and hear "Rudolf the red nosed reindeer" song by a Chinese lady. I think all the McDonalds must have the same CD that they play daily because its always the same songs, no matter which one you go into. Starbucks plays regular Christmas music song by the original artists. The mall I went to tonight though had very funky Christmas music, sung of course by off key Chinese girls. I wish I had recorded some of the songs--they really made me laugh.

I have found that you can say ANYTHING with a Chinese accent and the people understand you...well almost. lol

I said a tearful goodbye this morning to my tour group and then ran to my room crying. Dallin had already went to Mark's room (He and his girlfriend Fenny--very nice girl--arrived last night and Dallin was anxious to go see them). I was all alone and totally hormonal, scared, nervous and missing Rick--all rolled into one mascara smeared Angie. I called Rick who told me to go shopping--which cheered me up just thinking about it! LOL I went and said HI to Mark and met Fenny and then said goodbye to Dallin...they were gonna take him to the zoo today.

I went back to my room, caught up on the blogging, watched some Discovery Channel (I learned how Amy's Burritos are made...wow) and wrote a few Christmas cards...I'm not too motivated since this year I decided to hand write them all. YIKES! Anyway, then I walked to the bank, got money, saw all the many army and police guys with the fur hats and the big scary guns and returned back to the hotel to ask about getting a taxi. I then took off in a smelly old taxi to the Silk market. I felt powerful as I walked inside. I knew what I wanted and the price I wanted it for...unfortuantly, NO ONE was gonna sell me the purses I needed for the price I wanted, so I made a mental decission to go later back to the Pearl Market and try it there. In the meantime, I bought a FABULOUS wool plaid (think burburry) coat. Its wonderful...just what I always wanted. Its something that is timeless and if it holds up, it will be worn for years. I'm way excited. I then went upstairs, found my friends (Amy, Sally and Lisa). I talked with all of them and found out something interesting--the one child per family law is only in Beijing. Other parts of China, you can have more kids. Amy has a brother and a sister. Sally's grandma had 8 kids. Interesting ey? I then went to Samy and picked up my pearls...lovely! And then went to get my eyeglasses. Funny, the glasses lady recognized my glasses from last year! LOL I got three pairs (totally AWESOME...burburry, gucci and chanel I think) and guess what...I can pick them up tomorrow with the perscription in them!!!! Hows that for service. And get this...its was 85 % the price it would be if I had taken them to costco to get lenses put in them. Yea! I'm looking forward to tomorrow...but which ones will I wear? hmmm....

I took a small pearl gift to Amy, Sally and Lisa and then tried to hail a taxi to Pearl Market. But the taxi driver had no clue what the Pearl Market was. So I went back to Sally and had her write it down on a paper for me. She is so sweet and thoughtful. I love my Silk Market girls--if you ever go and you need silk or pasmina scarfs, they are the girls for you!!

Off to the Pearl Market. EVERYONE recognized me and asked, "Where are your two sons?" I guess Jordan is now one of my sons. I told everyone they went to the zoo, and this satisfied them. I got the three purses I needed (one for Celest and one for Marsha and one for me to replace the one I sent home with Rehle). I then found the UGG boots that Ashley had bought and got a kickin awesome deal on those. I picked up some more MONKEY MONKEYs and the sale ladies LOVED that I was buying more. Everyone at the Pearl Market was missing Jordan and Dallin and happily talked little jokes about the monkeys, just like the boys had the day before. Too funny the impact we had on everyone.

I took a taxi home to relax and read but it was only 4pm so I decided WHY NOT...and I took a taxi to New World Shopping Center. I wore my new coat, boots and purse...I looked good! I had so much fun wondering around that area. The most fashionable and hip Chinese 20 somethings were out about. McDonalds provided me with a cheeseburger and coke. I wondered through all the shops in the mall and was even given a free magazine by one lady. Everything looked really cool, but I couldn't bring myself to even look seriously...how can I pay full price for clothes after going to the markets?

I tried to get ice cream, but the Hagen Daz people wanted me to sit down to order, but yesterday, we all just ordered at the counter and had no problems. So I left and went to the sanctuary...you know, Starbucks. Ah, the friendly faces of the cool the baristas. I think they must secretly be from Seattle or maybe they sensed my "awesomeness" --kung fu panda-- and knew I was born and raised there. Either way, they were so cool. I got a VERY YUMMY Black cherry hot chocolate. Dang cool flavor. Wish they had that in the states. Yummmm... I went up stairs, and enjoyed lounging in a great big chair, sipping my drink and reading Twilight while listening to old classic Christmas music. Peace on earth, good will to men.

Speaking of good will to men, I forgot to mention what happened during the tearful goodbye to my tour group. Andrew, the missionary who just left the Hong Kong mission was now dressed in his suit. In mainland China, he is not allowed to dress like a missionary or wear his tag. But once he gets to Korea and LA, he can wear his tag. He secretly showed his tag to Dallin and told him, "Maybe someone, when you go on your mission, you can come back to Beijing and be one of the first missionaries to serve here", to which I added, "yes and you can bring the gospel to Allen"--Allen is the awesome front desk guy. It was really touching to think of what might be and how sad it is that right now, we can't share the gospel with Allen or anyone else.

Anyway...after starbucks and Twilight, I hailed a taxi, but that driver kicked me out claiming that he didn't know where my hotel was, or something like that. I then went to the next Taxi and found the cutest most cheerful lady. She also had no clue, so she called the hotel and had a nice long talk with them. Eventually she turned on her GPS map thingy and it lead us to the hotel. She would occasionally talk to me to which I would just smile and shrug my shoulders (now I understand how my mom felt sitting at the park in Moscow will all the old babuskas wanting to talk with her). Finally I got up the courage to say, "Ne jiao, shuma ming tza?" to which she showed me her name tag and then I told her my name. Then she wouldn't shut up. I kept just smiling and hoping she would realize that I really don't speak Chinese except to say "Whats your name" and a few things like that. We made it to the hotel and she was quite shocked when I gave her a tip. Cute lady.

Now I'm just sitting in my room. Its 8pm and Dallin isn't home yet...or if he is, they haven't let me know and are just hanging out in their room. Who knows.

Anyway, tomorrow is my last day. The only thing I have to do is pick up my new awesome glasses. YEA! I'm way excited.

Peace out...

7 comments:

Charles Miske said...

I know what you mean about the cab lady assuming you speak Chinese - in Latin America if you speak even a few halting words of Spanish you will be greeted with rapid-fire Spanish, since they assume that if you know even "Hola" you are a master...

JAnderegg said...

Fun! I know in Shanghai and Xian they can only have one child as well...at least that is what the local government officials stated. The law was implemented in the 70's, so if they were born before then, chances are they have siblings. The first chairman of China encouraged large families (6+ kids). From my understanding, it is the farming communities (not cities) that can have 2. My information comes from study I did before we went and questions we asked our guides and officials we met with. But lots of things change!

I'm jealous, it all sounds so fun! I can picture you in your new garb! I still have a hard time paying full price here in Utah, knowing what I can get it for in China~!

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Yeah, that was my understanding too--about it being a government thing, however, my friend who told me about all this are in their 20s, so, not born in the 70s or before. And one of them even mentioned Shanghai, so...very strange. Regardless, its cute to see everyone's reactions when I say I have 3 kids...imagine if I had 7!!

Tiff said...

Wow Angie I had a lot to catch up on. Sounds like China this year is even better than last year. Dallin sounds like he is having so much fun. I am glad you guys were able to take a trip together. Hopefully next time Tyler and I will be there with you!!! LOL

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Tiff..that would rock! I want to go again next Fall when Alicia Richmond is the American host. Lets all go!

Otter Mum's Den said...

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness!

lvs2dance said...

it amazes me how brave you are to travel all over the place all by yourself...i would have just sat in a corner and rocked back and forth chanting "find a happy place" LOL

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping