Thursday, December 16, 2010

Super Angie...BACK to basics

I took advantage of my knees not wanting to jump or bend today, and worked for a full hour on back spins. My coach had once told me about the Swiss not having a lot of ice time, and thus they spent crowded session time just spinning- this is why they are the best spinners in the world. My session was just me today, so it wasn't crowded (private ice for the price of a public session!), but I worked it like I was Swiss. Ja Wohl!

Vassili made some good points on Monday about spinning and gave me some things to think about. I applied those things today and BINGO--the back spin arrived. The key for me: left arm and left hip open. If I focus on these two things, the spin happens. He proved to me that you can spin on any part of your blade, if you have the rest of your technique down. So, instead of focusing on "I can't find my sweet spot" I changed my thinking to "open that dang hip" and BAM! It worked.

It was really beautiful circling the empty rink today, and knowing that all those perfectly beautiful centered spin markings were made by Super Angie. By Me!

Pinch me! Am I really becoming the type of skater I've only dreamed of? Vassili is turning me into a classic, beautiful skater; a well rounded skater. Anyone who has known me for a while, knows that I'm fast and hyper and I have tended to skate this way too. Vassili is helping me calm down- taking a simple approach instead of focusing on trendy things, he is making me take the classic, traditional approach. It doesn't mean I can't have flair on the ice, but I'm skating with more control--slow, don't rush, calm, confident! I love this Russian influence and am proud of my skating. Maybe I will be that Champion I've dreamed of...

Where will I go in 2011? I'm excited to find out!
New Goal: axel consistent by St. Louis in mid Feb.
--

No comments:

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping