Sunday, September 28, 2008

Super Angie...Points: brownies and crampons

Yesterday we got up early and headed to Red Rock to do a bit of Dry tooling. Dry tooling is when you use your ice climbing gear on rock. This is very useful to know because often when you are ice climbing, you will run into dry rocks that you will have to climb as well--mixed climbing (rock and ice). 
Rick took pictures of me top roping this route. We went around to the right of the main routes at Red Rock, to an area that isn't used much. Aaron from the gym came with his church singles ward, and it was really fun to see him outside of the gym. His friends were all very cool and we had a good time. His one friend gets brownie points for not swearing or yelling or even grunting while leading The Cuspinator--a 5.8 with a nasty crux. Mmm...brownies...
A lot of people think that in ice climbing, you jam your tool points into the ice. Yes, you can hack the death out of the ice, but the real skill comes in just setting yours points into ice cracks or bumps. Same when dry tooling--we weren't pounding the rock. Instead, we were gently setting our tools and crampon points into cracks and over jugs. Again, I am so amazed at the engineering that goes into creating ice tools. (They aren't called Ice Axes or ice picks, they are called Tools.)
Speaking of crampon points...yes, they hurt if you jab yourself with them.
BOMBER! Thats the term when your foot is so stable on the hold that its not going anywhere. Rick yelled a lot to me yesterday, "your foot is so bomber, so go ahead and try....". Bomber is a word I would expect Joe Kinder to use, but my husband? LOL

Honestly, this is the most fun I have had climbing outside in a very long time. I am totally an ice girl and dry tooling didn't disappoint! When can we go again? (anyone want to join us?)
--Super Stoked Ice Angie

5 comments:

Super Angie's MOM said...

Is that you way up on the mountain, yikes don't look down. Great job

Tiff said...

Wow looks like you guys have been having lots of fun. I love Tan's smile at the farm. She sure is an outside girl and her talking skills are increidable. She talks a ton. Looks like the boys have been having fun this week to.

Way to go climbing. Ice climbing still scares me, but I am glad you love it. Tyler still wants to try. Tyler and I would love to go rock climbing outside with you guys some day!

lvs2dance said...

Hey girl! So you totally cracked me up today in church when you did your trade mark 'bock'! Thanks for the smile! I so appreciated your sweet testimony today, I am glad that you feel that way abou this ward! Sorry again about Saturday, when can we make it up?

bock bock
LOL

Anonymous said...

I got vertigo just looking at the pics! haha Very impressive dear lady! And now I feel a little smarter with my rock climbing terminology - just in case I ever get an itch to try it. However, with my grace and skills, I better not. : ) I'll leave it to you.

JAnderegg said...

You go girl! And thanks for tagging me. I'll get on that soon:)

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping