Sunday, February 22, 2009

Super Angie...missing Germany













There is a HUGE difference between vacationing in Europe and having lived there. When on vacation, it doesn't matter if can't find bleach at the corner grocery store, because you'll just wash your clothes when you get back after your trip--or buy new clothes. When on vacation, most people never venture into the regular stores and neighborhoods the locals take. There is really no reason to. You go to some great resturants your tour book mentioned, see a show, or visit a museum. Maybe take the train or bus to visit a castle or something. Its great. Its comfortable. Its lovely. And then suddenly after a week, you start missing peanutbutter and other "American" things and then its time to get back on that transatlantic flight and head home. I'm not trying to bash vacations...I love taking vacations to cities I haven't lived in.

But when you live there...its life. In the morning, you get up. You walk to the corner baker (Muhlers was ours in Munich), get your breakfast rolls and head home. Oh and you NEVER would dream of walking around town in sweats or PJs..no matter how early in the morning it is. I love European city life.

I miss Munich. I miss the weather. I miss the old buildings. I miss taking the u-bahn to Sendlinger Tor and smelling the bakery as I came up the escalator. I miss visiting my dad's office. I missed taking the bus with my mom and not knowing where we would end up, but enjoying every second of it. I missed drinking Fanta and Spetzi. I miss Oktoberfest and German Heart cookies (which i have hanging in my kitchen). I miss Lebkuchen cookies and yummy German salads. I miss sitting at a sidewalk cafe for hours enjoying a good meal. I miss rollerblading through the Olympic park and taking the S-bahn to Starnberg. I miss walking to the grocery store or vegtable market. I miss watching German TV. I miss the parks and the buildings. I miss the walks around the block we'd take as a family. I miss the churches we'd visit. I missed buying our fruit at Gretels. I miss getting our mail down stairs in our building--our building really was the prettiest one on Elisabethstrasse and the one with the most history. I even miss watching "Naked Lady" hanging up her laundry across the street from our apartment. lol

I'm sure Ottermum and my own parents understand exactly what I'm saying.

*sigh*
--Super Angie

6 comments:

Amy said...

Hey so when did you live there? I've always thought it would be very cool to live somewhere else, out of the country for just a little bit. What a GREAT experience for you. Sorry you miss it. Maybe plan a trip there huh?

lvs2dance said...

Missed you at church today. I hope that you are feeling better. BTW- thanks for the jab about not commenting on your blog. LOL
I guess you just DON'T read my comments, cause I always leave em. lOve ya!

Super Angie's MOM said...

I sure hope dad doesn't read this before he returns to the states or he will retire in Munich instead of Seattle. Great pictures and memories. Where is that park? You would think I had never been there. We sure did have a pretty house. Living is deffinately differant than visiting.

Super Angie's MOM said...

never mind I just figured where the park was. Holensolern.. dah

Otter Mum's Den said...

I do understand the feeling, and I too had a naked lady hanging laundry... that is too funny!!
Robert G. and Linda Condie are presiding over the Munich Mission right now. Their address is on Lommelstrasse. (Just to give you an excuse to go visit!)

Super Angie's MOM said...

The Munich mission home was a favorite hang out for 8 years, many a meal I prepared there along with washing tons of dishes, Angie and Mark had a mini wedding reception there.

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping