Friday, October 26, 2007

Super Angie...China report 3--Tiananmen Square






I am sure most people remember of know what happened at Tiananmen Sqaure in June 1989. Walking out from the Forbidden City, under the portait of Moa was simply amazing. This square is MASSIVE! The buildings all around it are total communist style buildings. We didn't go see Moa, lying dead like Lennin, but we still had a great time.


The square was decorated with lots of special flowers for the Olympics. They even had a Great Wall made out of flowers. Really pretty.

The street sellers were out in FULL FORCE and I just had a great time. I wanted to buy a kite...but not for $60 like they wanted. So, I got Evan involved, and as we walked back to the bus, we haggled and haggled and he finally got 2 for $20! SWEET DEAL! Then of course they wanted to sell us string...for like $20. My favorite line the whole day was from Evan... "I don't need that much string!" Seriously, they had SOOOO much string for the kites. He finally talked them down to $2 each, and we walked back to the bus congratulating ourselves on getting cheap kites and string.

PHOTOS: 1st Moa...it was really amazing to be standing under Moa's portrait. Felt much like the first time I saw the Sydney Opera House or St Basel's on Red Square...such a historical spot that you see in magazines, newspapers, on the news. Now its real. I have been there! AMAZING! 2nd. Took a picture of me on Tiananmen Square. Notice all the army guys behind me. Lots of security. 3rd Communist Building. 4th. The Olympic Symbol done from Flowers. 5th. Great Wall made out of flowers. 6th. A little Chinese girl striking a pose.

Done with the first day in Beijing. After Tiananmen Square, we went back to the hotel and checked in and crashed for the night.
--Super Angie

No comments:

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping