Sunday, October 28, 2007

Super Angie...China report. 9...day 4...part one!




















After a wonderful day on the Great Wall, we spent day 4 having a blast back in Beijing. We took a Rickshaw ride. TALK ABOUT FUN!!!

Connie and I rode together in rickshaw number 10. Our driver must have thought we were nuts. We had fun saying Ni Hao to everyone we rode past (especially the little kids and other people). We also had a blast with the street sellers. They would ride their bikes right next to us the whole time, rattling off what they had to sell. "Gucci Gucci!" they would yell. Well, we started yelling it back, but giving a ridiculously low price. They thought that was fun and we enjoyed playing this little game together. (In the end, we did buy stuff from them and got a good laugh!)

It was enjoyable to ride through the Hutongs. This is a very old part of Beijing, with tiny streets and interesting housing--all grey. We learned that now it is kind of trendy to live there and some famous singers and actors live there, but the Hutongs are being torn down except for one section that will be spared. Its sad.

We met a man, nick named "Mr. Cricket" because he likes to fight crickets (we saw and learned all about Crickets in his house). It was interesting to go inside his house--Christmas decorations left up from last year (we learned they like Christmas because "the Americans celebrate it").

While leaving Mr. Cricket's house, and walking back to our parked Rickshaws, I saw a darling shop, and being the shopper that I am, I ran inside, found a very cute knitted hat and proceeded to buy it. The shop keeper didn't speak any english and didn't want to take US dollers. Lucky for me, there were two adorably sweet Chinese girls in there shopping who spoke fantastic English and helped me out. I got the hat and off I went.

At the end of the tour, I bought another "Gucci Gucci" bag from the street seller and had my picture taken with him. We were both laughing the whole time!

The Chinese people are incredible. I am so thankful I was able to go on this Rickshaw ride....and thankful I could go to China.

PHOTOS: 1sT: two girls in the shop that spoke English. 2nd: interesting roof lines and bright colors of the Hutongs. 3rd: Elderly folks enjoying the sunshine. 4th: me with my new hat on, with the "Gucci Gucci" guy! 5th: Old truck shell placed over a bike. 6th wash hung out to dry (loved the vibrant colors against the grey Hutongs buildings). 7th: door way. 8th: markets in the Hutongs. 9th: Connie and I sitting in our Rickshaw. 10th: others from our group riding along. 11th: cute building (looks like China town, huh?)

--Super Angie

No comments:

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping