Thursday, October 11, 2007

Super Angie...Rock Canyon Climbin

Crag Baby
Finding his holds
Following in Chris Linder's footsteps...
"I gotta chalk up!"
Rick gettin' his climb on.
Mountain Sheep
Happy Hikers
Hangin' at the Crag!
Dallin loves to boulder
Dallin-nice form!

Despite an overwhelming feeling that I shouldn't go (which I should have listened to), we went to Rock Canyon tonight to "get our climb on". Besides the yucky feeling, an emotional mom and a stressful ride to and from the canyon, plus some very 4 yr old attitudes, it was fun.

The highlight of the night was actually NOT the climbing, but seeing Mountain Sheep. We saw SOOOOOOO many and they were so close and down low too. Dallin actually spotted them first. It was really fun to see such beautiful animals, up close.

Rick should be very proud of himself for setting up his very first top rope anchor all by himself. He had to hike up to the top of the wall and clip in etc. It took him a bit of time, but he got it done safely and correctly. I am so proud of him. WAY TO GO BABY!!!!

Dallin was the first to climb. I think he was a little disapointed that he didn't climb very high, but he was so brave to go first and he actually did quite well. He is getting so much better at looking where his hands and feet should go instead of just throwing them around randomly. We were very proud of him. ** overall, he was very well behaved all night.

Brennan was next and he seemed to have fun, even though he didn't get far. He was a little rascal all evening--really wore on me after a while. He likes being out side, but sometimes gets freaked out while hiking--even though the trail we were on was actually an asphalt road. ** over all, he was not very well behaved all night....but I still love him. (Like he says, "me love you, even when you're being mean to me." or "Me love you all night")

I went next. Man, I suck at climbing outside and I actually don't like it. I only had fun climbing outside at the second day of HERA...didn't enjoy Maple Canyon that much and didn't enjoy Rock Canyon either. I like pulling plastic. Does that make me a bad person? I like knowing where my next hand and foot holds are--they are bright colors and really obvious. This route tonight was a 5.6 I climbed about 8 feet up--THATS IT! Yet, I can do a 5.10 C in the gym on a 40 foot wall no problem. Yes, I like pulling plastic much better then rock. I ended up injuring myself--my arms and I am so angry...its been hours and yet, I can't sleep. I am supposed to leave for China in a few days...how can I go to China with tingley fingers like I had in August and September? How can I get a good night sleep when I can only lay one way again? I worked SOOOOO hard to get past those problems of my hands etc falling asleep. I got a massage weekly for about 5 weeks, did stretches and then POW! In one 5 minute segment of time, I am injured again. Makes me soooo mad. I HATE CLIMBING OUTSIDE.

Can you tell I am stressed out for my China trip? I don't know why....the food? the flight? traveling without a loved one? I have done stuff like this before....am I psyching myself out? I probably am and I need to stop it. I got a lot of snacks packed to take with and am pretty prepared-- I think I am worried about being away from Rick and the kids. I had a hard time while I was in AZ (which I still need to blog about...). And I always have a hard time when he is climbing a mountain. Its okay when we can communicate--text or cell, but in China, I won't be able to do either. Its only 8 days total....get over it!

Rick went next and just cruised up. He didn't send the route, but he did awesome and he said he learned a lot about climbing outside. This was only his second time climbing outside in Utah. I think he did great and I am so proud of him. He is so brave and enthusiastic about climbing outside. He found the holds quickly too. (I'm still wondering where the next purple or green one is. lol)

Well, my hands and arms hurt and I am still emotional over everything. The kids had fun though. Afterwards, Rick took them to Maggie Moos (i stayed in the car with Tanith...she was grumpy and truthfully, I was sick of listening to the kids). Dallin was telling the ice cream lady all about his hike. I am glad they love hiking and seeing animals and they both did so good climbing. What great boys they are. And...what a great husband I have. I love you Rick.

--Super Angie

2 comments:

Tiff said...

WOW!!! I am sorry you got hurt. That stinks. Hopefully you will feel better soon. But it did sound like the boys had lots of fun. Can't wait to see Tan start climbing. That will be so cute!

Charles Miske said...

Tan already climbs. She reaches up like she's going to hug me, and I lean over to her. She grabs a fistful of my chest hair and cranks herself up. YOUCH! Can't wait till she can crank on rock or plastic. Woohoo!

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping