Sunday, October 28, 2007

Super Angie...China report. 9...day 4...part four!!!!





Okay, after a wonderful day of Church going, Rickshaw riding and shopping, I decided it was time for a change. I wanted to be daring and get my hair cut. I talked to Tom, who informed me that right next door to our hotel was one of the most popular hair salons in the city. And just my luck--open until midnight.

I told Bre, who agreed to come with, so off we went.

We entered and made the universe sign for hair cutting--you know, making your fingers look like scissors and then cutting your hair. It worked and we were walked into a room away from all the normal customers. It was very clear that these two American girls were not normal. We were giggling like 7th graders who just got passed a note during band class!! How would I describe what I wanted? We asked for a book (again using sign language). We found some pictures, but were saved by the bell--so to speak--when a lady appeared who spoke a bit of English. I showed her how I wanted my hair stacked in the back and longer in the front. She brought in a cute girl with the style and I said, "yes!!!". Okay, good deal.

Then this guy appeared with a bottle and put a cape on me and a towel and started washing me hair...while I was sitting in the chair. Very strange and different.

Then they walked me over to the washing station and rinsed me.

Then to another room and the hairwasher guy brought in this other guy and he started cutting.

Bre had a blast saying, "Where is the bathroom?" and "My name is____" in chinese. This kept them entertained (Hey look, the silly American girls can say two things in Chinese!!!). Word got around and suddenly we were like two Americans in a zoo---people wanted to see us. The room got packed. I greated them all with a Ni Hao (which made them all laugh).

Then my hair cutter dude started singing along to the radio. So we started singing too. Great fun.

Bre got the idea to give us Chinese name and give the two guys American names. Derek and Mikey. They seemed to like their names and would occasionally copy something we said in English, like "China is a cool" --" Cool!!!" they would say. "This is so Awesome"-- "Awesome" they would say.

In the end, I got a fabulous hair cut and had a wonderful time. What an experience!!!!

Photos: 1st: Me with my cape on. 2nd: washing my hair. 3rd: rinsing. 4th: with Dereck and Mikey.

2 comments:

Tiff said...

Cute hair cut!!! :)

Charles Miske said...

If you were one place, and "normal" people were in another, what does that mean?

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping