Sunday, November 2, 2008

Super Angie...Dry Tooling

Saturday, we got up bright and early (6am) and headed out to Red Rock in Draper to do a bit of dry tooling with our friends, Micheal and Nathan. Doesn't Micheal look like a Japanese girl, doing the peace sign pose?
Nathan started climbing ice last season and actually has a few friends who are sponsored climbers. Micheal had never done dry tooling or ice climbing before.
Text ColorIt was Nathan's first time dry tooling and he just did awesome. He was pulling such great moves, like this knee drop. AWESOME!
Being OH SO COOL, Micheal is hanging out.
Nathan got stuck between the fence and the bench. It was actually quite funny, right Nathan?
Rick lead a 5.6, Babyteeth.
Not many people I KNOW would attempt to lead this route, like Rick did.
I still can't beleive Rick would lead this route, with crampons and tools.
WAY TO GO BABY!
Something we didn't think about...walking around in the fall time, with all the leaves on the ground...getting stuck on your crampons. It was quite funny.
Here's Nathan dry tooling the route Rick lead.
GRRRR! Here I am, ready to climb.
Dry tooling and loving it!
WATCH OUT! I'm headless!
I decided to go up the left side..Nathan said it was harder then the right. Sounds good to me.
Lets have some fun!

This pic is so cool, but its rotated wrong, I didn't notice it until I had already moved on...so, if you want the full effect, tilt your head. I have such awesome form here.
Nathan totally rocked leading this tricky 5.10. He got into such awesome positions. Really a top notch climber with MAD SKILLS! (of course, he has been climbing for 14 yrs and hes only 22, so....)
Look Ma! No hands and only one foot! Remember, he is leading this, so if he were to fall right here, he would have decked (hit the ground)!
A nice shot of Nathan getting ready to clip the next bolt.Getting ready to climb with Micheal belaying me.
After Nathan climbed it, I got talked into trying it on top rope.
I'm so proud of myself. I did this 5.10a (my first full 5.10 outside!!!). The crux (most difficult part) was at the begining. You start in this cave, and have to climb over the roof.
With the support of Nathan, Micheal and Rick, I was able to take some holds I didn't think I could ...
And even do some huge flexibility moves...

My camera died just about here, so I'll have to wait until I get the pics from Nathan and Rick's cameras. After I did this 5.10, Rick did it! HIS FIRST 5.10 EVER!!! We were all so thrilled and proud of him. Then Nathan and Micheal decided to dry tool the 5.10. HOLY CRAPOS! It was fabulous....just wait until you see the pictures.

--Super Angie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap Batman! You amaze me girl!! Fabulous shots!! I tilted my head and was even more impressed! heehee Way to go! (there were a whole lot of exclamation points in this comment) : )

Charles Miske said...

I just posted some of my thoughts on my blog as well.

Aletha and Brian said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun! From the looks of things, you like to keep busy! Much better than being bored! To answer your question about the pics on my blog, I actually collage them together myself in photoshop. There probably is a program out there that would do it for you, I just like doing things the hard way sometimes. :)

Megan said...

That looks like so much fun! Way to go!

JAnderegg said...

Looks like so much fun! Way to go, Rick! And so many great pics. Great Job, Ang! You look really good on the rock!

Sarah-sponda said...

Wow looks like you guys had so much fun! Congrats on the 10! Psyched! It was fun to pics of Michael and Nate:) Tell them I say hello.

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping