Monday, March 23, 2009

Super Angie...Lighten Up!

I am reading a wonderful book right now called LIGHTEN UP! written by Chieko N. Okazaki.

This is my 547th post since I started blogging a few years ago. Its my 123rd post just this year. I started blogging because I needed to document the small "good" things or "SUPER" things I was doing each day. Its therpy for me.

At that time in my life, I was busy comparing myself to others. I had a friend at the time who seemed perfect and I seemed so small in comparison. --I'm not as good of a mom as she is. --Oh, I don't read enough with my kids. --She is way nicer then me. --She is skinnier then I am. I'm so fat. --I am such a lame person. --My house isn't as nice and tidy as hers....etc etc.

Through blogging, I have been able to focus on the small things I do daily that make a difference in my life or my family's life. Things like making playdough, going to the park, doing the laundry, unpacking a box. Some things are huge and fantastic...like a birthday party, halloween or a baptism. Other things are small and mostly don't matter in the grand skeem of life--like vacuming, playing Wii, or not screaming at the kids for one full day.

Being Super Angie and focusing on my daily heroic EFFORTS, instead of my daily failures, helps me see myself as my Heavenly Father sees me. Its all about making the effort!

Now, back to this book....Some favorite quotes:
"Don't be hard on yourself and don't let others be hard on you either."

"Give yourself credit for the good things you do."

"If you make a mistake, give yourself credit for trying."

"If you do only half of what you wanted to do, or do it only half as well as you would have liked, pat yourself on half your back."

"Lighten Up!"

I have been struggling lately with comparing myself with others. Again with the comparisons. "My house is so messy compared to hers" etc. Something I have realized... (and please if you are a neat freak, don't take this personally, its just MHO) My kids will only be kids for such a short time. While they are kids, they want to play where ever I am. This means, in the kitchen, in the front room and yes, even in my bedroom. I should be grateful I even have kids, rather then stressing about rules of where toys are and aren't allowed in my house and yard. I have always been the type of person thats doesn't "mind" a mess. Sure I would love to have things tidy--like you see in Magazines or on Martha Stewart--but thats not my reality. But sometimes, I see other ladies and I see how tidy their homes are, and suddenly the pressure is on!
LIGHTEN UP! I have learned to just let it go. This is me. This is my house. This is my life. And you know what, when my kids are old and grown and married, I can have my tidy house...but I'll still miss seeing that random dino, or my little pony laying around.

More thoughts on the book as I move through the chapters...

--Super Angie

6 comments:

Amy said...

Angie, I LOVED this. It's so so true, if only everyone could "Lighten up" huh? I needed to hear that because I too know how it is to compare yourself to others and instead I need to be just so grateful I am who I am. Thanks for this little lesson, I will have to pick up this book.

Erica said...

Sounds like a great book! One of the best things I heard (somewhere) was that kids won't remember how messy the house is - they will remember the time you spend with them playing or going fun places. I always try to remember this when we head for the zoo leaving a messy house behind!

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Good point Erica. :) I most certainly don't remember if my childhood house was always tidy. And I know it wasn't up-to-date fashion wise...but I didn't care!

Tara said...

Angie...You are so awesome!! I heard something once that has stuck with me and made a difference when I start playing the "they are better than me because" game... We often compare our failures to other peoples successes and it will never equal out no matter how hard we try!!
You have so many wonderful qualities...who cares if your house isn't as clean as the neighbors! :) I wish I had the time to comment like you do on blogs! You are always one of the first ones to say such nice and kind things! You are so busy making others feel good that the kitchen goes by the wayside! Oh well!! :) You are a good friend, a good mom, a good climber, and a world traveler! I know I would love to add some of those my list!
**By the way...the apple wallpaper in the kitchen was the bomb!! Who says that isn't fashionable!
luv ya

Libby Hammond said...

Angie, you are way SUPER!!! and always have been. You set such a great example for your friends and I love reading about the small things in your life that make you larger than life!

JAnderegg said...

She is so good...I love her books. You are such a neat person....I'm so grateful God make us all different...it keeps things interesting!

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping