Friday, November 5, 2010

Super Angie...Thankful day 5




Today I'm thankful for travel.

Saw this quote and it fits me perfectly...

Dance, Sing, Floss and Travel


My traveling days didn't really start until '94. Sure I went on vacations around the US. And seeing that Canada was only a few hours away, I went to Vancouver and Victoria a lot--even sometimes on dates with high school boyfriends. But my real sense of adventure and love for the world started when I was an exchange student the summer after I graduated from H.S.

I simply loved living in Germany. Knut's family were amazing and taking a holiday in Holland, and visiting his grandparents in northern Germany just made things even better. What a fabulous summer of exploring, growing up and learning. My German skills improved and my love for Europe expanded.

Then I was simply lucky when in 95, my dad took a job in Germany for BOEING. He had been with BOEING since college, and it was finally time for him to move overseas, and of course, Germany was the perfect place to send him. So I quit college and moved with my parents to Munich. (sadly I dont' have any digital pics) Actually living in Munich was a dream come true and has shaped the person I am now. I loved living in a small apartment (although by German standards, our place was HUGE!!!!). I loved riding my bike, walking, or taking the subway. And of course, the food. I enrolled at Ludwig Maximillon Universitat in Munich and began my studies.

One fun thing was that my mom and dad got their German drivers license and they got adventurous. So almost every weekend we would take off for some grand adventure around Europe. I also bought the weekend Deutsche Bahn card which allowed me cheap weekend train fares. Prague, France, Holland, Italy, Austria, Poland, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland...the list goes on and on.

Once I got married, I was fortunate enough to marry someone who loved Germany as much as me, so we traveled a ton as well. Our yearly trips to Munich became tradition. And when my parents got transfered to Australia, we made that trip too. Same when they moved to Russia.

We took our kids with as well...even when they were babies. I remember going to Moscow with just Dallin. He was 5 yrs old and I was pregnant with Tanith. What a great traveler my little kindergartener was.

After getting remarried to Rick, traveling didn't stop--it just changed continents for a while. We visited Tokyo and were instantly hooked on Asia. Then through some good luck and smart deals, I started going to Beijing yearly. I love China. I took Dallin with for his 8th birthday and had such a blast--even though it was FREEZING and we had to wear 3 coats!!! The following year I was blessed when my dad came to China with me.

Our family is blessed to have my ex-husband living in Singapore. The boys get to travel to see him and his wife Fenny (and now they have a baby!).

Traveling is something in me. I love hoping on a plane and just taking off. Long flights don't even bother me. I love adventure. I love meeting new people. I love cultures and languages and foods and sightseeing. I also love just seeing how other people live.

One thing that struck me last time I was in Japan was how we, as humans are all the same. We all take pictures of the same flower. We all laugh at the same child being silly. We all bend down to pet the dog. We are the same.

--Super Angie

1 comment:

Charles Miske said...

Thanks for sharing. This is awesome.

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping