Saturday, January 3, 2009

Super Angie...Baptism Day

My parents with Dallin
Dallin, my dad, Derek and his dad.
Pop and Dallin
Howard and Dallin
Rick, Dallin and Me! I'm so proud of this picture! My son is wonderful!

It was an icy cold day today. Sunny, but 22 and windy. Brr... We woke up at 7:30 and took the kids to their Meet Your Teacher primary activity. Rick and I are now Dallin's teacher, so we had an enjoyable time meeting the other kids and eating breakfast with them...except that Tanith threw up all over Rick!

I was amazed at how NOT stressed out I was about today. I was totally at peace. I went to the Lewis' house to practice the song I was planning to sing at the baptism. That went well too. Everything was going perfect and there was no stress. The house was even clean!!

My parents came over and then we all headed to the Stake Center. Things were so calm...it was a nice break from how crazy life usually is for me. We arrived and found the baptismal clothing and my dad (who was baptizing Dallin) took Dallin and went into the changing room--Rick went with too. It was so wonderful being surrounded with family--Paul's kids were a HUGE hit. I LOVE my nephews and neice. We all missed having Jeff and Laura there though and my grandpa who now lives in Florida.

Brother Lewis played the prelude music and really set the mood. So many friends and family came.

Paul and Tricia Waibel
Tyler, Andy and Kaylee Waibel
Howard Bartlett
Anne and her husband Dan
Gabriel and his mom
Jake and Julie Anderegg and their kids...Josh, Ryann and Nathan.
Mrs. Martinez (Dallin's school teacher)
Shannon Phair and her daughters Celise, Adelaide and of course Anyslea
Jenny Meek and her daughter Anna
Grandma Irene, Pat, Paul and Jacob
LeeAnn Anderson with kids, Megan, Bridgette,Tanner and Spencer
Barbara and Timm Waibel
Rick and Angie Miske
Brennan Bartlett
Tanith Miske
Bishop Lee
Delan Lee
Derek Philipee
Bonnie and Lyn (we met them on our tour in China and often sat with them on the bus)

The program was very lovely. I had forgotten that I was leading the music! LOL Not a big deal though. :) The Philipee family sang the Rainbow song from primary (i don't remember the name). Then Howard gave a wonderful talk about Baptism. He really touched all parts of it in a calming way and something the kids really could understand. We were nervous he wouldn't make it on time because he was late--we later found out he had broken his ankel this morning while shoveling snow!!! In fact, Andy was preparing some words to say in his place. Anyway, he came and the talk was great. Then it was my turn to sing and I sang I AM A CHILD OF GOD in English, German and Chinese. I said, "Dallin and I have been lucky enough to travel and some of our favorite places have been Australial, Germany and China, so I will sing in those languages". LOL My mom in the second row started laughing about the Australia comment--Kaylee said, "what language do they speak there?" LOL It was cute. As I was singing, I tried really hard to push thoughts out of my head of saying "mate" in the words. lol Then I sang a verse in German and got chocked up when I noticed my dad mouthing the words along with me. It was so tender to see. Then I sang it in Chinese. It was really nice and I actually felt really good singing everything...like I was floating or flying. It was very freeing.

Then an excelent talk on the holy ghost was given, in which the two boys being baptized (Dallin and Derek) participated. Then we moved to the R.S. room for the actual baptism. Everyone was so accomidating and moved chairs around so the moms and Grandmas could see. A wave of emotion washed over me as I watch my older child walk into the font with my dad (Dallin wanted "POP" to baptize him!). He closed his eyes so tightly and he plugged his nose just perfect like he had practiced and he went under the water and came out so fast, I don't even remember what happened next.

After both boys were dry and Dallin was sitting on my lap (he was extra cuddly all day)then the bishop called Dallin up for his confirmation. My BFF Julie (grin) knows short hand and did the most beautiful job writing down Dallin's blessing. Thanks friend. It means so much to me because I don't remember too much of the blessing. Ugh! It was over so fast, with so many wonderful men in the circle--Rick gave the blessing. Others in the circle were: Paul, my dad, Pat, Jacob, Jake Anderegg and Bishop Lee.

After everything, we had a gathering at my house with the fabulous cake Lesleigh made--I SWEAR she makes the best cakes ever!!! The cake was just darling. Julie got right to work taking care of everything I couldn't. My brother and dad cut just the perfect size slices for everyone. The kids didn't spill and ate everything real good. Everyone took themselves on a tour of our new house (or Julie took them since she knows it well). Anne and Dan played with Tanith which of course made her day! (She LOVES Anne! ) I was able to socialize and visit with friends and neighbors. After all the friends left, the cousins got crazy and just had a blast! We were sad when Paul's family left, but mom and dad stayed and we watched some old home videso from the past few years and everyone enjoyed being together.

There was a nice feeling in our home. There was no stress, just pure love. Dallin gave a lot of big hugs and cuddles (although he did slip on the ice outfront and had a hard time calming down afterwards...he just cried and cried and it wasn't until Tanith made him start drinking out of her bottle that he calmed down). I had Dallin write in his new Journal I gave him. I received journal the day I was baptised so I wanted him to have one too. My mom and dad gave him scriptures. He also got some tie-tacks, a CTR ring, some granola bars and some really touching cards.

Dallin, I love you. I'm so thankful to have you as my son. You are so kind and generous. You treat others with love and respect. You have a huge heart and are so tender. You follow the spirit often and quite easily. You listen to your parents and your teachers. I just love you, my big dragon!

--Super Angie

4 comments:

Otter Mum's Den said...

Except for Tan throwing up (That's always fun....) sounds lik the perfect day. One of the kids I taught this past year was baptized last Saturday. It was sweet but a time to sweat as well because her uncle made his talk on baptism very interactive with Q&A and she referred to comments I had made in class. There was this "Oh Dear, what is going to come out of her mouth that I might have shared....?" moment!

Me! said...

thAT MUST HAVE BEEN A PROUD DAY KNWING YOU RAISED DALLEN! TELL THEM I SAID HI!
-KAYLEE (chewtoy)

Whitney said...

I am SOOO sad I missed this. Dallin really is such a wonderful boy. A perfect example to his siblings. What a fabulous time! I really miss him.

RBS said...

Angie,
What a wonderful day you had. Jenny told me that you had a son baptized Saturday and I was tickled to read all about it. What a great little family you have. Oh and I wouldn't mind coming to your scent party thingy, it will depend on the weather and my memory, hopefully I will remember.
Roxanne

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping