Saturday, January 10, 2009

Super Angie...dare I Say...














I think I actually LIKE Utah? OMGosh! I have now been in Utah for 5 yrs. As many know, I'm not a big fan. I don't like the almost constant sun and the summer heat is crazy. I don't like some of the attitudes people have. I don't like how sheltered some are in Utah. I am a city girl. I am a cosmopolitan girl. I love international things....Utah is not very international.

But slowly, I'm coming to terms with Utah and today, I actually said the words, "I LIKE UTAH!".

This morning, Rick and I went snow shoeing. What an awesome time we had. We went up to Vivian Park in Provo Canyon. We went to the park at the end of the road. Its actually quite popular for snow shoeing. When we first arrived, we paused in aw as we heard a bunch of coyotes howling!!

We set off on a road, heading up a hill. Soon, we found ourselves at a huge snow field. At first, we thought it might be a frozen lake, but we figured out it was just a field. There was a neat old tractor, that I just HAD to pose with. (yes...I watch way too many Germany's, Australia's and America's Next Top Model shows!). Up until this point, we had simply been walking on flat, packed down snow. But in this field, we got the chance to just take off, run and enjoy the powder. What a wonderful workout.

The area was gorgeous. I love the fact that I could be only 15-20 minutes from my house and yet be completely alone...it was silent. The sun was creating diamonds on the snow. The sky was the bluest of blue. The mountains standing proud. The temp was 20 degrees and It was simply heavenly....

We soon noticed some tracks going up a hill, through some scrub oak, so what the heck, we followed them. Along this adventure, Rick taught me about all the tracks we saw. Quail, wild turkeys, squirels, chip munks, rabbits, and of course deer. We had a good time looking at the tracks, and are sure that we scared some of these animals in our approach because of the way they were moving through the snow. Later we could hear some turkeys but we never did see any.

We got to the top of the hill, but it wasn't really the top, not with any views. We followed some critter tracks (they always know where to go) in the direction of our car. Luckily, Rick and I have excellent sense of direction. We did have to do a lot of bush wacking through more scrub oak, but we laughed a lot as I slid on my butt down the hill. We finally found the creek and another trail and continued our journey to the parking lot.

What a beautiful day. I love Rick so much and I love that we have such great adventures together. We have so much respect for each other and truly want the other to succeed and be happy. In past marriages, we have been held down and not allowed to fully take flight and accomplish our dreams...on a day like today, I can see how we are!

--Super Angie

4 comments:

Otter Mum's Den said...

Green with envy about the snowshoeing day. I don't think I would like Utah much either.
Oh, speaking of sheltered, one of our new Elders from Utah had never heard the name David Bowie... How is that possible? I must be getting old....

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

LOL...yes, I have heard of people from Utah who have never left the state. GASP! But I do really miss swimming in the lakes. I loved going to Waverly or Idlewood to swim. Ah... *sigh*...

Amy said...

Wow, BEAUTIFUL. We love to go snow shoeing. So you have only lived here 5 years huh? Where are you from? I'm glad that you are getting a liking of Utah, because I absolutely LOVE it. If you are an outdoorsy person, this is your state. Glad you think so too.

lvs2dance said...

I think that it is so cool that you and Rick do so many athletic things together! I'm glad that you could finally admit that you like Utah!

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping