Friday, October 31, 2008

Super Angie...Halloween sweetness


I am staying home while Rick takes the kids out trick-or-treating. I have planted myself in the front room, by the windows, so I can see the kids coming by etc. One of my neighbors has a daughter--probably 12??-- with down syndrome. Her older brother (highschool) was walking her around, house to house. He was so tender with her...making sure she was safe crossing the street, checking on her costume to make sure it was straight (shes a witch with a big cape). He would lean over to talk at her level....it was just so tender to see this teenager taking his sister trick-or-treating, instead of riding his skateboard or hanging with his friends.

Ding dong....two little kids-- maybe 6 and younger??--were standing there dressed like a cowgirl and a power ranger. I am dressed like a Japaness Geisha, complete with a wig and makeup. The little cowgirl looked at me and said, "HEY! YOU WERE THE SINGING LADY AT CHURCH!". Wow...I feel so special. I only subed once and already I am known.

Halloween memories:... I have such fond memories of trick or treating around spiritbrook...always a wet, windy and cold night of course. We always decorated for halloween. Paul would hang fake siderwebs out on the front porch and in the trees. I think I will do that next year...makes it more fun to walk onto a spooky front porch.

I remember my dear neighbor, the Hewitts would always give away coloring books.

Remember how you always knew who gave away full size candy bars? We had a neighbor who was the announcer for the Super Sonics basketball team. Sometimes he would do king size snickers. WHOA!

The bigger kids would always to mulitple neighborhoods, filling their pillow cases two or three times.

I remember sitting in the front room, sorting all my candy. My mom told me today that she used to "help" sort the candy--taking the ones she liked! lol

I don't know how people don't love Halloween...its so fun seeing the joy on all the kid's faces as they go on their yearly march through the neighborhood on search of the best candy!

I'm handing out DUM DUM suckers...yeah, that kind of sucks as a treat, but if I had chocolate, the bowl would already be empty. Oops! lol

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

--Super Angie

3 comments:

Super Angie's MOM said...

Lots of good memories for this old lady. You do relize that the coloring book was bought just for you. Other children didn't get one. They loved you.
Surely I am not the only mom to check the goodie bag for chocolate, (bad for children) Remember the bagels from Romero's.

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

I had no idea about the coloring books being only for me. Its actually make me cry pretty hard right now. Did they realize what an impact that coloring book made on me?

I had completely forgotton the bagels! Brother Romero was simply the BEST! Too bad giving away bagels can't be done anymore

Otter Mum's Den said...

I remember the Bennetts (Guy and Linda) giving out full sized Hershey chocolate bars at the Trunk or Treat

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping