Saturday, October 11, 2008

Super Angie...Russian Cowboys

Today was such a busy day. We attended the wedding of a friend who lived in this ward back when I was married to Mark, Amy Danielson. Her family was always so sweet and often the kids and I would go and hang out down there. Almost every Sunday I would sit with Amy, her brother Brian and her parents during Sacrament meeting since Mark didn't come much.

Anyway, Amy served her mission in Moscow, Russia, and got home right when my parents moved there. She loaned me a book back then all about Russian LDS members and finally today, I got to give it back to her! Anyway, in honor of Amy's love of Russia, I had Tanith wear her Russian dress and head thingy to the wedding open house. She was a HUGE hit...and I just think she is so adorable in these pictures. Anyway, as I was taking the kids over into the kitchen area of the groom's house where the reception was held, I saw two ladies point at Tan and start speaking Russian. They were so excited that they took out their camera and started snapping pictures of her. I told them that my parents live in Moscow and thats why I have the dress. I find out, they are from Moscow and knew Amy on her mission. I mention again my parents, and thats when the American girl standing next to them asked me, "Whats your parent's name?" ... "Waibel". "OH MY GOSH! I knew Sister Waibel. Your mom is the best. I served there with a Ukrainen companion and we would visit her weekly. She made my companion a blanket for Christmas." Yes mom..it was Sister Duncan!!! The three ladies madly spoke in Russia about my mom and then Sister Duncan and I talked. I thanked her for visiting with my mom often and for making hair cutting appointments for her. Imagine being in a foreign country and needing to get your hair cut...beleive, it can be a challenge! (I have done it in both Germany and in China!) I could tell Sister Duncan really loved my mom. Its such a small world in the church! It was also wonderful to see Brother and Sister Danielson again and Brian. Gosh, I love that family!

After the wedding, we came home, Tan took a nap, I worked out (ate too much apple pie at the wedding openhouse!) and then we all changed to get ready for the ward HOE-DOWN! YEEEE HAW!

I wore one of Rick's flannel shirts, and we all got ready to go. The Warnicks sat next to us, which was really fun to get to know them a bit better. Turns out their son is also in Gymnastics and is very good. I mentioned that we rock climb and they got really excited. They climbed once at The Quarry and would love to go again. He actually watches Youtube videos of climbers and knows a bit of stuff about it. It was really fun finding someone who is excited about climbing.
We ate salad, rolls, a bit of chili and then lots of desserts! YUM! (don't worry, after coming home, I did a second work out for the day) The smaller kids were taken to the Primary room to watch Winnie the Pooh halloween movie and everyone gathered for a hoe-down. I tried dancing with Tan, but it was hard. But she really liked it, so I did my best. We did all sorts of square dancing.

You know, it really took me back to the "good old days" of Kirkland 1st ward, when we had huge ward parties and everyone was there. The Romeros, The Wiscombes, The Galbraiths, The Jaspersons...everyone came and participated. Ahh...such great memories. Anyway, tonight was just like that--everyone danced and if they didn't want to do, they were pulled out of their seats and made to dance and by the end, they were smiling and happy. We did lots of dances where you would change partners. It was fun to watch adults (especially the men) be partnered up with little kids. They would get down on the kid's level and just let them have fun dancing!

We finished with the Hokey Pokey and the Chicken Dance. I got up and did the Hokey Pokey. By then Dallin and Brennan were back in and watching. They had never seen the hokey pokey and didn't know what it was all about (pun intended), so they were too shy to try it. But I did see them smile with joy when I did funny things, like shake my backside all around or put my head in. Next came the chicken dance and of course, JA WOHL! WE KNOW THE CHICKEN DANCE! (every good German knows the Chicken Dance--along with every drunk American who has ever gone to the Hof Brau Haus in Munich!) We REALLY got into the dance...even Tanith was quacking her hands. At the end, Dallin said, "THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN" and he repeated that the whole way home. I haven't seen Dallin smile like that in a long time. You know...it wasn't playing wii, or it wasn't watching TV, or buying a new toy....it was good old fashioned square dancing and ward fun. The spirit was strong and testified that this is what wards are supposed to do. We are all brothers and sisters. We are all friends and we are all there for each other.

Da da...it was a GREAT day!
--Super Russian Cowboy Angie

6 comments:

shannon p. said...

Such cute pictures of Tannith! What a small world! Sounds like you had a fun and busy day - hopefully your hoe down was indoors and you didn't freeze your backside off completely! (What has happened to fall? We've gone straight from summer to winter!)

Charles Miske said...

Hokey pokey? What if that really IS what it's all about?

Unknown said...

LONG TIME NO SEE!! U ARE ALWAYS SO CUTE!!

Super Angie's MOM said...

What a fun day, and a treat for you to meet Sister Duncan and get to dance the chicken dance.

lvs2dance said...

Love the outfit!!! She looks so darling!

JAnderegg said...

Wow, how fun. It is a small world, and Tan looks darling!

On Belay

On Belay
Brennan Top Roping

Climb On!

Climb On!
Dallin top roping